Presentation of 2013 Jim Davis Award
Mayor Fife presented the Jim Davis Extraordinary Service Award for 2013 to Brent Gillies. He was
nominated by Monica Holdaway, Director of the Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Gillies served on the
Chamber Board of Directors for more than six years, including three on the Executive Board and served
as President. He has served on the Events and Fundraising Committees and has organized many events.
During the 2011 Peach Days, Mr. Gillies was like another full time employee for the Chamber. He
volunteers his time and has been a board member for the Box Elder Community Pantry.
Mr. Gillies’ business, Gillies Funeral Chapel, has been a great sponsor of many community organizations
and events. His business also offers a grief group to community citizens to help them through the grieving
He has served on the Board for the American Cancer Society’s Box Elder Relay for Life and volunteered
with the Boy Scouts of America and in local schools. He is a member of the local Rotary Club and an
active member of his church.
Mr. Gillies not only serves his community but his family as father of five by influencing their lives by his example of service.
Even though Mr. Gillies no longer serves on the Chamber Board he is still a great supporter. He is a
platinum member and still serves on committees, volunteering at Peach Days and other events.
Mayor Fife presented Mr. Gillies with a clock in recognition of this award. Mr. Gillies expressed
appreciation to his family for their support and his employees for allowing him to volunteer. He spoke of
his love for Brigham City and his desire to make it a better place to live.
Following is the nomination letter:
To Whom it May Concern, I would like to nominate Brent Gillies for the Jim Davis Service Award. Brent continually goes above and beyond for the Brigham City community. He has served the community in the following ways:
● He has served on the Chamber Board of Directors for more than six years, including three on the Executive Board. He has served as President of the Board. Brent has not only fulfilled his requirements as President of the Board but has attended many of the functions and ensured that the Chamber office is running smoothly. At times this meant him coming to the office to help with mailings and answering phones. Brent has served on the Events and Fundraising Committee has organized many events including: Annual Banquet, Golf Tournament, Movies in the Park, End of Summer Bash, and Bringing Santa to Town.
● During the 2011 Peach Days Brent was another full time employee for the Chamber only he didn’t get paid! He went to all of the Peach Days events as a representative of the Chamber including the Jr. Peach Queen Pageant and the Channel 2 News Taping. In 2011, he even welcomed the Jr. Peach Queen Pageant so I wouldn’t have to since my youngest was in the pageant. My only role that night was to be a mom and that was thanks to Brent for taking on my responsibilities that evening. During the week of Peach Days Brent easily volunteered over 70 hours. He not only gives of his time but also sponsored a Peach Queen contestant and the Post Office Marching Band fee for the parade.
● Brent also volunteers his time and has been a past board member for the Box Elder Community Pantry.
● Brent’s business is a great sponsor of many community organizations and events. He has sponsored: the BE Community Pantry, the Boys and Girls Club, Summer Movie in the Park, Peach Days, Peach Days Car Show, Chamber Golf Tournament Peach Queen Pageant, Breakfast with Santa for Brigham City, the Rotary Club, Women’s Golf Association, Brigham City Senior Center lunches, Pumpkin Festival, and more.
● Brent’s business also offers a grief group to community citizens to help them through the grieving process. This is at no cost for the attendees.
● He has served on the board for the American Cancer Society’s Box Elder Relay for Life. He has volunteered with the Boy Scouts of America, and in local schools.
● Brent is a member of the local Rotary Club.
● Brent is an active member of his church and has served in a variety of callings. Brent not only serves his community but his family. As the father of five he has been able to influence their lives by his example of service. His wife Lori is very supportive and allows Brent to continually serve the community that he loves.
Brigham City Chamber Executive Director